[speedstep] Testers wanted

plasma plasma at ms9.hinet.net
Tue Nov 23 00:44:34 PST 2004

On Mon, Nov 22, 2004 at 07:44:14PM +0100, Robert Blacquiere wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 22, 2004 at 10:44:07PM +0800, plasma wrote:
> > It seemds to me that ichctrl is not able to see your battery when ac
> > is pulled.  Please provide me more information:
> >
> >   * Output of 'uname -a'.
>
> FreeBSD bifur.guldan.demon.nl 5.3-STABLE FreeBSD 5.3-STABLE #1: Wed Nov 10 10:40:52 CET 2004  \
>    robert at bifur.guldan.demon.nl:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/bifur  i386
>
> >   * You're using ACPI or APM?
>
> I'me using ACPI
>
> >   * 'sysctl -a | grep -i acline' when AC is plugged and pulled.
> robert at bifur$ sysctl hw.acpi.acline
> hw.acpi.acline: 1
>
> pulling ac out...
> robert at bifur$ sysctl hw.acpi.acline
> hw.acpi.acline: 0
>

> >   * 'apm | grep AC' when AC is plugged and pulled.
>
> robert at bifur$ apm | grep AC
> AC Line status: on-line
>
> pulling out ac
> robert at bifur$ apm | grep AC
> AC Line status: off-line

This is strange.  I copy-n-paste the code that checks AC line status
from apm, so ichctrl should do if apm works.

Estctrl uses hw.acpi.acline to check AC line status.  But I notice
ichist doesn't rely on neither ACPI nor APM, so I decide to check AC
line through /dev/apm since it's available in both configurations.

> It seems i get also a lot of:
>  rtc: 100 > kern.hz: Timing will be inaccurate, please increase hz.
>
> when using the ichctrl ...
>
> Probably due to the fact the clock freq is changed...

Are you using vmware?  I think rtc module is needed to run vmware.
It barks if HZ is not high enough.

Estctrl checks kern.cp_time twice a second.  Since ichctrl is derived
from estctrl, it does so too.  I'm not sure if HZ has anything to do
with it here.  In my kernel config, I set HZ to 1500.  This is because
I used vmware before, and rtc barked all the time. :p

ichctrl 0.1 is released.  It's at
http://svn.ntcu.net/~plasma/ichctrl-0.1.tar.gz.  The length is 2532,
and md5 8ba185c774af55235277d2cf8a1cbaba.  Maybe you wanna give it
try?

> If you need more info i'me willing to help

Sorry, your problem really beats me.  I have no clue what's going on.

Maybe I should write a version which uses hw.acpi.acline to test AC
line status for you.

plasma