PowerNow in mobile AthlonXP

Scott Lambert lambert at lambertfam.org
Wed Mar 17 13:14:01 PST 2004

On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 09:29:16PM +0100, Sascha Klauder wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 02:26:50PM -0500, Scott Lambert wrote:
> > My DSDT may be messed up.  However, thanks to Bruno, I now have the
> > ability to set my processor speed to six different levels without going
> > through ACPI.  This has significantly cooled my lap, reduced local noise
>
> Uh...that sounds pretty cool.  Where to pick up the patches?
> Please? :)

http://poupinou.org/cpufreq/bsd/powernow_k7.tar.gz

Bruno also found a little bug in sys/dev/acpica/acpi_cpu.c
that was preventing my machine from showing the C2 option on
hw.acpi.cpu.cx_supported.

Using the two options in combination has lowered my laptop CPU
temperature 28 degrees Centigrade.  Just using the ACPI option yields a
20 degree temperature drop.  The powernow_k7 option on it's own yields a
22 degree drop at the lowest speed setting.

lambert at lambertfam.org       http://www.lambertfam.org/~lambert/resume.html