PowerNow in mobile AthlonXP

Sascha Klauder sklauder at trimind.de
Wed Mar 17 14:08:43 PST 2004

On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 04:13:59PM -0500, Scott Lambert wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 02:26:50PM -0500, Scott Lambert wrote:
> > > My DSDT may be messed up.  However, thanks to Bruno, I now have the
> > > ability to set my processor speed to six different levels without going
> > > through ACPI.  This has significantly cooled my lap, reduced local noise
> > Uh...that sounds pretty cool.  Where to pick up the patches?
> > Please? :)
> http://poupinou.org/cpufreq/bsd/powernow_k7.tar.gz

Loads fine on my HP nx9005 (5.0-CURRENT just a few days old),
but does not register the sysctl OIDs.  Quickly inserting a
few printf()'s indicates that retrieve_conf_from_bios() fails
somehow, but I'm at a loss at how to fix that right now.

With check disabled:

Powernow: frequency scaling yes -- voltage scaling yes
AMD Powernow K7 <0kHz 1450mV>
sysctl hw.powernow
hw.powernow.frequency: 0
hw.powernow.voltage: 1450
hw.powernow.max_states: 0
hw.powernow.state: 0
hw.powernow.table:
fsb   0MHz latency 0.000us

But it's pretty cool that Bruno ported it nonetheless! Maybe
I get it running on my nx9005 somehow.

> Bruno also found a little bug in sys/dev/acpica/acpi_cpu.c
> that was preventing my machine from showing the C2 option on
> hw.acpi.cpu.cx_supported.

Is this in CVS already?

> temperature 28 degrees Centigrade.  Just using the ACPI option yields a
> 20 degree temperature drop.  The powernow_k7 option on it's own yields a
> 22 degree drop at the lowest speed setting.

Sounds great!

Cheers,
-sascha