Dell S2D partition woes

D J Hawkey Jr hawkeyd at visi.com
Thu Feb 5 10:23:18 PST 2004

Hi all.

OK, I'm pretty satisfied with how FreeBSD 4.5 is running on this Dell
CPi D233ST I've got, except for one niggler: The suspend-to-disk feature.

Due to a poorly-written lphdisk utility, which I have on a Linux "fixit
diskette", I had to make the S2D slice #4, otherwise it wouldn't format
it. In and of itself, that isn't a big deal, except that the Dell BIOS
won't use it; I'm thinking it's because it isn't slice #1.

I used fdisk to re-arrange the MBR slice table, moving FBSD to slice
#4 and S2D to slice #1, but as you'd expect, that fouled things due to
invalid disk labels (I did manage to restore everything!).

So, two questions: Is my assumption correct, that the BIOS wants S2D on
slice #1, and if so, can I make the existing disk labels "jibe" with the
changed FBSD slice? I'm assuming that simply editing /etc/fstab before
rebooting with the new slice table won't cut it.

Please CC me, I'm not subscribed to this list. TIA,
Dave

--