Synaptics Driver Patch (new Version)

Arne Schwabe arne at rfc2549.org
Sat Apr 3 06:21:14 PST 2004

Hi,

some Months ago I posted a very hacky synaptics driver patch.

Here is a new Version:

It is still not perfect, but since it will be almost perfect (I hope)
for some people I posting this.

- Dectecting and setup of the Synaptics touchpad works
- Touchpad with moused works
- the Trackpoint with the moused (Are there any other combinations?) does not work,
  since I did implement the parsing of the Guest yet (But should be very
  easy, see the comment in psm.c)
- The XFree86 Synaptics Driver fully works, Touchpad and Trackpoint
- Parts of  psm.c touchpad parsing are from Marcin Dalecki patch

- The Synaptics Driver should still work with this patches under
  Linux but I could not test it :(
  You should only have to remove the two little Changes to the
  Makefile

In Ordner to use the XFree86 driver you have to disable moused :/

Howto:
download
http://www.plaisthos.de/freebsd/synaptics.kern.patch

patch your kernel with it

cd /usr/src/sys
patch -p1 < /path/to/synaptics.kern.patch

compile and install the kernel

make installworld or simply cp /usr/src/sys/sys/mosue.h to /usr/include/sys

download http://w1.894.telia.com/~u89404340/touchpad/files/synaptics-0.12.5.tar.bz2
extract it (tar xfvj synatpics-0.12.5.tar.bz2)

Apply
http://www.plaisthos.de/freebsd/synaptics.driver.patch

cd synatpics-0.12.5
patch -p1 < /path/to/synaptics.driver.patch

gmake synaptics_drv.o

I don't know if gmake install works
but cp synaptics_drv.o /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/input/synaptics_drv.o
works :)

Edit your XF86Config
Change your Mouse Section to:

Section "InputDevice"
  Driver        "synaptics"
  Identifier    "synaptics"
  Option        "Device"        "/dev/bpsm0"
  Option        "Protocol"      "psaux"
  Option        "LeftEdge"      "1900"
  Option        "RightEdge"     "5400"
  Option        "TopEdge"       "1900"
  Option        "BottomEdge"    "4000"
  Option        "FingerLow"     "25"
  Option        "FingerHigh"    "30"
  Option        "MaxTapTime"    "180"
  Option        "MaxTapMove"    "220"
  Option        "VertScrollDelta" "100"
  Option        "MinSpeed"      "0.02"
  Option        "MaxSpeed"      "0.18"
  Option        "AccelFactor" "0.0006"
  Option        "SHMConfig"     "on"
#  Option       "Repeater"      "/dev/ps2mouse"
EndSection

And make sure that in you ServerLayout Section you change Mouse1 or
whatever to:

  InputDevice    "synaptics" "CorePointer"

The real reason I am posting this now is because I know that I
prbpably to lazy to code the missing parts because the part I wanted
to have works good enough (the XFree86 Driver)

Arne