[XFree86] FreeBSD 5.2.1 and XFree86-4.x ati driver lockupproblem -- Solutio

James jjy at eaglequest.com
Fri Apr 2 20:13:52 PST 2004

Robert,

Thanks for the kind words.  I fooled around with my laptop for many
hours, after work, but to no avail.  I checked the mail archives on
FreeBSD and XFree86 but no help.  Finally I figured out a work around,
so I figured other folks might be interested.  Especially considering
how long it took me to get the thing working.  It was frustrating to say
the least, and I've been using FreeBSD for over ten years!  It's
embarrassing admitting that -- oh well, such is life.

By the way, Brooks Davis also responded to my email, and he advised that
recompiling the FreeBSD kernel with SMP and apic disabled will also fix
the problem.  I tested it, and he was absolutely right on.  If you do
this you can have acpi enabled and Xwindows will be stable.

Best regards,

Jim