laptop suspend states behaviour

Cliff L. Biffle cbiffle at safety.net
Thu Jun 26 10:04:17 PDT 2003

On Thursday 26 June 2003 03:10 am, Stijn Hoop wrote:
> I'm sorry to say that most of the suspend states aren't very useful. Are
> people able to use any suspend method on other laptops?

Yes.

From following this list, it sounds like ACPI in FreeBSD is horribly broken on
the vast majority of modern laptops.  I am fortunate enough not to own modern
laptops. :-)

On my Toshiba Satellite 1605, ACPI suspend (to RAM and to disk) works
flawlessly.  It's worth noting that ACPI suspend-to-disk is several times
faster than APM suspend-to-disk.  This machine now runs Gentoo, however,
because of the lurking M5237 USB bug (which I've finally gotten offers for
help on, six months later, but can't have the downtime required to reinstall
the OS twice to test).

On my IBM Thinkpad 755CX, APM suspend (to RAM and to disk) also works
flawlessly, and is much faster than the Satellite since it's maxed out with
40MB of RAM.  :-)

I recently picked up an HP Pavilion N5290 (like the other two, it died and was
discarded by someone who couldn't solder); it's running Gentoo by default
after my issues with USB on the Satellite, so I can't comment there.
Hardware suspend doesn't work -at- -all- on it in Linux, but software suspend
in their kernel does.  You just have to manually patch your kernel to do it.
Whee.

-Cliff L. Biffle