hostap (was: good pcmcia card to build ap)

Duncan Barclay dmlb at dmlb.org
Wed Apr 9 13:10:50 PDT 2003

On 09-Apr-2003 Louis A. Mamakos wrote:

>> but then, do I really need hostap? i tried out ad-hoc mode with a linksys
>> card, and it seems to work just fine. i didn't get much smarter by googling
>> for hostap. what are the advantages of it (especially when I use only one
>> acess point, not multiple ones?). I have multiple machines that need to
>> connect at the same time though, all with different operating systems
>> (FreeBSD, WinXP, OSX). But that also shouldn't cause trouble, as far as I
>> understand the situation.
>
> In infrastructure mode (vs. ad-hoc mode) you'll get more effective
> channel utilization in the situation where each of the other stations
> cannot hear each other.  Google for "hidden terminal problem" and
> read all about it.

However, the station to station bandwidth is reduced by a factor of two because
of the relaying. If you are only using .11 to wirelessly star your machines into
a server then an AP (or hostap) is good. However, if you are using it as a peer
to peer network then ad-hoc gives better throughput (as long as they can hear
each other).