hostap (was: good pcmcia card to build ap)

Louis A. Mamakos louie at TransSys.COM
Wed Apr 9 11:52:17 PDT 2003

> On Mon, Apr 07, 2003 at 03:34:39PM +0200, Erik Paulsen Sklerud wrote:
> >
> > > I'm like Tobias looking to make an accessPoint, but with a
> > > PCI type card
> > > instead, but it should be the same I think? Could someone please name
> > > some cards based on the PRISM-chip, if that's the only card
> > > supporting hostAP
> > > in FreeBSD?
>
> but then, do I really need hostap? i tried out ad-hoc mode with a linksys
> card, and it seems to work just fine. i didn't get much smarter by googling
> for hostap. what are the advantages of it (especially when I use only one
> acess point, not multiple ones?). I have multiple machines that need to
> connect at the same time though, all with different operating systems
> (FreeBSD, WinXP, OSX). But that also shouldn't cause trouble, as far as I
> understand the situation.

In infrastructure mode (vs. ad-hoc mode) you'll get more effective
channel utilization in the situation where each of the other stations
cannot hear each other.  Google for "hidden terminal problem" and
read all about it.

louie