Updates to freebsd-wifi-build

Adrian Chadd adrian at freebsd.org
Mon May 18 04:02:20 UTC 2015

Hi!

I've churned out some changes to freebsd-wifi-build.

The supported list is here:

https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-wifi-build/wiki/Supported-Boards

(I'd like to add more hardware to the list, so just let me know if you
have a favourite router.)

The top level build instructions are here:

https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-wifi-build/wiki

* it now checks for required packages before running
* it installs into ../tftpboot/ instead of requiring the user to
create /tftpboot/. I still have /tftpboot/ and I just 'cp -fv
../tftpboot/* /tftpboot/ after a build so I can use TFTP.
* There's basic templating support now for rc.conf - because some
boards (eg carambola2) don't have arge0 hooked up to anything useful.
So to make the default build work, now the carambola2 uses arge1.
* there's now VLAN and etherswitch support in the configuration file format.

https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-wifi-build/wiki/Config-Overview

I have it up and running on my carambola 2 with the internal switch
configuration. It's running with two VLANs, one on each ethernet
switch port, coming back to arge1 and arge1.2 (VLAN 2.)

I'm now going to throw it on the rest of my test hardware and tidy up
whatever issues arise.

It also was a good test experience - I finally have wraped my head
around what Stefan and others did with etherswitch and the various
different things that each switch type supports. Hopefully this leads
to me writing some more documentation.

I'd appreciate any and all testing that people may do with this stuff.
All of my home APs are FreeBSD and have been for a couple of years.

Next up - adding configuration language to configure ipfw and routing.

-adrian