openjdk6-b17 Pre Release 2

Marcin Wisnicki mwisnicki+freebsd at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 21:55:09 UTC 2009

On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 10:39:12 +1000, Stephen McKay wrote:

> On Wednesday, 4th November 2009, Brian Gardner wrote:
>
>>I've completed work on pre release version 2.  You can gain early access
>>to this port by downloading it from:
>>http://www.getsnappy.com/downloads/openjdk6-b17-pr2.tar.gz
>
> Cool!
>
>>Pre Release 2 features these fixes:
>>no more ugly fonts!
>
> It's getting closer, but there's still something amiss.  Try running the
> old Sun Font2DTest and there are obvious differences between the other
> JDKs (diablo, linux, and native freebsd jdk 1.6) vs openjdk6-b17-pr2.
>
> For a start, the font selected for the buttons, etc, is different and
> the general layout is distorted (some of it doesn't show up until you
> resize).
>
> Then if you look at the fonts displayed by the tool, they differ. I've
> found that "Utopia" is instructive as the E and F have been nibbled by
> mice in the openjdk6-b17-pr2 version. :-)
>
> I'm running 7.2-p3 with most ports dating from 7.2-R, if that matters.

When I had similar problems with fonts in openjdk16-b16_1 on 8.0-BETA2 I
did following:

cd /usr/local/openjdk16/jre/lib
sed -e 's|/usr/share/|/usr/local/lib/X11/|' fontconfig.properties.src \
	> fontconfig.properties

then copied DejaVu-LGC fonts to /usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/dejavu-lgc and
it's fontconfig files to /usr/local/etc/fonts/conf.d .
Also, I had a complete xorg (with all xorg-fonts-*).

Since then everything is working perfectly.

If this still fixes the problem then I guess openjdk needs some serious
overhaul of its font configuration system to really use desktop's
settings instead of hardcoding paths in private configuration files but
in the meantime fontconfig.properties could be tweaked to something
that exists on freebsd (perhaps dejavu, but dejavu-lgc port would be
nice too).