OpenJDK6 and NetBeans: Who can use non-English fonts on NetBeans?

Daichi GOTO daichi at freebsd.org
Tue Mar 3 21:37:22 PST 2009

Brian Gardner wrote:
> That's fine.  Currently it doesn't appear to install the
> fontconfig.properties file all together.  Based on everybody comments
> here are my suggestions, I'm not sure it's entirely possible. 1) place a
> default fontconfig.properties upsteam (bsd-port/jdk7, and my patch) that
> relies only on completely free, GNUV2, or other less restrictive licenses.
> 2) in the port Makefile detect when the system langaunge is Japanese or
> when japanese fonts are installed, and add the default free font
> japenese/vlgothic as a runtime prereq.  Also add a configure option to
> use the ipa_fonts, that would add the japanese/ipa-ttfonts as a runtime
> prereq and adds a special version fontconfig.properties that utilizes
> these fonts.  This could even be the default if the Japanese openjdk6
> community decided this was best.

I think above your voice are valid and applicative :)

ex, port Makefile knob like WITH_FONT_VLGOTHIC (default),
WITH_FONT_IPAFONT (if user set it) or something like that
are useful, you know?

# In all honesty, font quality of vlgothic as japanese font
# is awful. When possible I want to prevent to use it anyway.

   Daichi GOTO, http://people.freebsd.org/~daichi