Obsolete jdk15, jdk16, linux-sun-jdk15, linux-sun-jdk16

Greg Lewis glewis at eyesbeyond.com
Mon Mar 31 13:30:16 PDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 04:03:55PM -0400, Robert Huff wrote:
> Aryeh M. Friedman writes:
> >  >>> Are there any plans to update jdk ports in accordance with
> >  >>> recently updated versions (1.5.0_15, 1.6.0_05)? (since all
> >  >>> previous are already not available for download officially)
> >  >>>
> >  >> A side note diablo also needs to be rebuilt to get rid of kse references.
> >  >

> >  > Very unlikely to happen unless someone wants to fund this.  You can't just
> >  > rebuild it, you've got to rebuild it and then run it through the JCK tests
> >  > again.  Time is much more likely to be invested in getting a Diablo release
> >  > for 1.6 done rather than updating the 1.5 release unless someone is paid
> >  > to do it.
> >
> >  Valid SoC project?  If so I will make an application for it. (I
> >  already applied for ports 2.0 but will make this my alt)
>
> 	As I understand things, the obstacle is not "rebuild it" but
> "run it through the JCK tests again".  The latter takes time, it
> takes (five digits ?? of) money, and it takes one or more Official
> People babysitting the process.
> 	Diablo-1.5 happened in part because a third party thought it
> worth their effort to fund the effort.  Given a viable successor is
> already in the field, it would seem to ake sense for them to fund
> that ... if they fund anything at all.

The monetary cost of doing it I was speaking of was to pay someone to do it
(the Foundation has previously done this as contract work).  If the
Foundation were willing, a volunteer could do this.  The volunteer would
need to be ready for a significant time investment and be familiar
with the JDK build process and code.  All the current porting volunteer
time being spent on Diablo is being spent on 1.6.  The next most pressing
project that is ongoing has to do with OpenJDK, which will heopfully make
these binary releases obsolete to some extent.  Given that, its unlikely
that one of the current porting team is going to look at updating the
current 1.5 binary.

I don't know if this is a valid SoC project or not since I'm not sure what
qualifies as one.  If you have to be able to show code at the end of it
then it isn't, since the code would be restricted.

Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis at eyesbeyond.com