Obsolete jdk15, jdk16, linux-sun-jdk15, linux-sun-jdk16

Robert Huff roberthuff at rcn.com
Mon Mar 31 13:16:19 PDT 2008

Aryeh M. Friedman writes:
>  >>> Are there any plans to update jdk ports in accordance with
>  >>> recently updated versions (1.5.0_15, 1.6.0_05)? (since all
>  >>> previous are already not available for download officially)
>  >>>
>  >> A side note diablo also needs to be rebuilt to get rid of kse references.
>  >

>  > Very unlikely to happen unless someone wants to fund this.  You can't just
>  > rebuild it, you've got to rebuild it and then run it through the JCK tests
>  > again.  Time is much more likely to be invested in getting a Diablo release
>  > for 1.6 done rather than updating the 1.5 release unless someone is paid
>  > to do it.
>
>  Valid SoC project?  If so I will make an application for it. (I
>  already applied for ports 2.0 but will make this my alt)

	As I understand things, the obstacle is not "rebuild it" but
"run it through the JCK tests again".  The latter takes time, it
takes (five digits ?? of) money, and it takes one or more Official
People babysitting the process.
	Diablo-1.5 happened in part because a third party thought it
worth their effort to fund the effort.  Given a viable successor is
already in the field, it would seem to ake sense for them to fund
that ... if they fund anything at all.

				Robert Huff