port linux-sun-jdk-1.5.0.07,2

Achilleas Mantzios achill at matrix.gatewaynet.com
Wed Nov 22 15:27:34 UTC 2006

Στις Τετάρτη 22 Νοέμβριος 2006 17:05, ο/η Nuno Vasconcellos έγραψε:
> Hello,
>
> I attempted to install the above package, and received a message prompting
> me to download  package jdk-1_5_0_07-linux-i586.bin from Sun website and
> put it in /usr/ports/distfiles. However, I could not find that package, and
> noticed that Sun is offering a newer package (Update 9) named
> jdk-1_5_0_09-linux-i586.bin. But I could not install it because the port
> will not recognize the newer package name. Am I correct to think that this
> port should be updated?

Why go with the linux port and not try the native
diablo-jdk-1.5.x package?

Note that there is also diablo-jre15 in /usr/ports/java

Now for native jdk15 you have the following options:
i)
cd /usr/ports/java/jdk15 ; make install
# You compile everything from the java sources

ii)
cd /usr/ports/java/diablo-jdk15 ; make install
# You install the binary but thru the ports system

iii)
pkg_add diablo-jdk-freebsd6.i386.1.5.0.07.01.tbz
# You install the binary directly via the packages system
# The above is for freebsd 6

> Taking the opportunity, I would like to suggest you to establish a port for
> Sun Jave Runtime Environment (jre-1_5_0_09-linux-i586.bin). I thought it
> would be interesting to offer a smaller package with only the runtime
> environment rather than the developer kit as I see that some people would
> never go into java programming but would still use the jre for navigation
> in the Internet.
>
> Thank you for your attention,
>
> Nuno

Achilleas Mantzios