new FreeBSD java binaries

Scott I. Remick scott at sremick.net
Thu Apr 13 16:50:12 UTC 2006

On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 17:42:58 -0400 (EDT), Michael Allman wrote:
I'm a little confused on how to properly use these binaries. Part of it is
probably that my understanding of the Java scene only goes so far. :)

1) What is the significance of the "Diablo" name prefix? How does a
"Diablo" JDK differ from a non-Diablo one?

2) Under what circumstances would I want to install the JRE (or "latte") vs
the JDK (or "caffe")? I believe the JDK contains the JRE, correct?

3) If "most users" want the jre/jdk vs. caffe/latte, then why does
java/diablo-jdk15 download diablo-caffe instead of diablo-jdk?

4) If I run "pkg_add -r jdk15" at this point, what gets installed?

5) Still not really clear on the differences between the caffe and latte
tarballs and the jdk/jre packages.

Can someone help this dense user? Thanks