Diablo JDK 1.5 - GUI issues

Bryan Liesner bryan at kishka.net
Fri Apr 7 08:21:37 UTC 2006

I'm experiencing problems with Swing and SWT. I can't tab around to
highlight buttons, and the numeric keypad entry doesn't work.   Also,
pop up menus disappear for me if the mouse is moved away before
choosing an entry.

I tried it with Eclipse, and it seems to work OK, with the exception
of the buttons. I'm forced to use a mouse.  I'm also a Moneydance
user, and that seems to be the biggest annoyance. I pay my bills
online and enter the amounts with the num pad, tab around and press
the buttons with the space bar.  For now, I've reverted back to 1.4.2

I'm currently using Xorg 6.9.0 along with ctwm as my window manager.
All of my ports are kept up to date. I tried switching window managers
to XFCE to see if that was the issue, but no luck there. I'd like to
stay with ctwm, I've been using it for years, and over those years
it's highly tailored and tweaked to my tastes. If KDE is the answer,
well, it's just not for me.

(KDE is just too much of a pig, and besides, if I wanted something
that works like Windows, I'd be using Windows.  I dropped MS years ago
in favor of FreeBSD 2.0 and haven't looked back, and never will.)

Anyone else experiencing the same, and is there a workaround?

uname:
FreeBSD gravy.kishka.net 6.1-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 6.1-PRERELEASE #0: Mon
Apr  3 22:09:35 EDT 2006