some questions about Java ports

Herve Quiroz herve.quiroz at esil.univ-mrs.fr
Mon Oct 3 18:23:18 PDT 2005

On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 04:47:03PM -0400, Mikhail Teterin wrote:
> I meant to show, that picking one selection actually does make sense in my
> opinon -- designating a special variable is redundant. A "historical" reason
> is a perfectly good one to help select, which of the varibles to use. The
> other reason is that the desired Java version will always be there.
[...]
> I sure appreciate it. But hardwork implementing and documenting a design says
> nothing about the design's own merits. I realize, that I was not there, when
> you were designing, but I still can't help pointing at a better choice for
> this bikeshed's roof.

The defined/undefined logic allows for more flexbility IMHO. There are
indeed many ports that just define USE_JAVA without any requirement on a
particular version. I remember we tried to find a common way to define
requirements, hence we came up with JAVA_VERSION, JAVA_OS and
JAVA_VENDOR and decided not to make an exception of JAVA_VERSION. While
it may not be "the most optimal thing in the world ever", I must admit I
don't really understand the scope of the present discussion. Are you
advocating for a re-design of the Java support in bsd.java.mk?

Herve