ports/81458: Update www/jakarta-tomcat5 to 5.5

Herve Quiroz herve.quiroz at esil.univ-mrs.fr
Mon Jun 6 17:20:07 GMT 2005

The following reply was made to PR ports/81458; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Herve Quiroz <herve.quiroz at esil.univ-mrs.fr>
To: Scott Balmos <scott.balmos at utoledo.edu>
Cc: Kang Liu <liukang at bjut.edu.cn>, bug-followup at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: ports/81458: Update www/jakarta-tomcat5 to 5.5
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 19:19:07 +0200

 Hi Scott,

 On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 12:57:53PM -0400, Scott Balmos wrote:
 > Tossing in my two cents as an end-user/developer. I think it's more
 > appropriate it be named tomcat55. tomcat[4|5]-devel, to me, would be the
 > current developments on those brances, like betas/RCs of 5.0.x & 4.0.x.
 > But 5.5.x is a completely separate branch.

 Yes, that is what I was trying to suggest in my message actually.

 > And I don't think DEPRECATED should be used, either. Quite honestly, I
 > don't think any keyword should be used. I can't think of any immediate
 > example of any other non-devel port that uses some keyword in order to
 > scream "don't use this in production!" to users. I think people (at least
 > I am. :D) are apt to know what software is good enough to be used in what
 > situation.

 I agree with you. Now, the best would be that someone(tm) update "Java
 and Jakarta Tomcat on FreeBSD" [1] to reflect the latest tomcat ports
 additions and changes.

 > If I can make a suggestion... I don't know how this is handled in a ports
 > Makefile, but the JAVA_VERSION=1.5+ isn't quite right. JVM 1.5 is the most
 > recommended, of course. But 1.4.x+ can be used if the two XML
 > compatibility JARs are downloaded and installed also. Maybe this is the
 > job of a post-install script or a patchfile or something? Not sure, but
 > just suggesting.

 Ah, there's another port (textproc/xalan-j) that has some trouble with
 JDK 1.5. If you could tell me more about those XML compatibility JARs, I
 think I could solve this one as well.

 And no need for a post-install script. Just need to test which JDK is
 used in the port and add the dependency or not. Indeed, I think this
 compatibility kit should be part of a whole separate port.

 Thanks for your feedback.

 Herve

 [1] http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/java-tomcat/