general question about java port PRs

Panagiotis Astithas past at noc.ntua.gr
Tue May 18 00:30:39 PDT 2004

Mark Linimon wrote:
> I was surprised to find that some of the Java ports had PRs filed
> against them, but not under the 'ports' category, instead under the
> 'java' classification.  As some of you may be aware, I have written a
> set of programs that attempt to track the status of ports PRs and
> correlate them with build errors seen on the build farm (among other
> data: see portsmon.firepipe.net).  However, I only track things under
> 'ports', not 'java'.
>
> Shouldn't the 'java' category be reserved for such things as problems
> with the JDK/JREs, or would you prefer that these ports PRs be left in
> that category as well?

I have been wondering about that as well. I believe that the 'java'
category should be reserved for JDKs. Ordinary port upgrades and problem
reports could benefit from the larger pool of commiters & volunteers
monitoring the freebsd-ports list. I think that only three persons
attend to java PRs (glewis, phantom & znerd).

Cheers,
--
Panagiotis Astithas
Electrical & Computer Engineer, PhD