An alternative Eclipse 3 port

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Fri Jun 25 01:52:34 GMT 2004

> I picked the former (WITH_MOTIF), since the latter is apparently
> forbidden from the following snippet in open-motif/Makefile (on which we
> depend):
>
> .ifdef USE_MOTIF
> .error You have `USE_MOTIF' variable defined either in environment or in
> make(1) arguments. Please undefine and try again.
> .endif

The WITH_* variables are intended to be user settable.  The USE_* variables
are intended to be set only by the ports framework.

The use of .error is a bug in this case.  If someone sets USE_MOTIF in
/etc/make.conf (which should _not_ have USE_* variables set, but ...),
then 'make index' will fail, and probably 'make search' as well.

The correct usage AFAICT is to set the IGNORE Makevar instead of using
.error, in all cases.

Is it really true that Eclipse is intended as a slave port of open-motif?  Or
is this just a case of trying to reuse common code?

mcl