Tomcat apache java freebsd Ugh!

Gerald gcoon at inch.com
Thu Jun 10 20:23:49 GMT 2004

Hi folks,

Java apparently is supposed to work nicely on FreeBSD. It's even got a
mailing list dedicated to it. After jumping through hoops to get the port
version of jdk14 installed (not the linux one) I have a working Tomcat +
jdk14 on freebsd 4.8.

I'm looking to hook tomcat in to apache now so I can let apache do the
SSL. I see there is a port mod_webapp but it did many odd things to me and
in short is not working at the moment.

This is where I'll start my question...

mod_webapp complained about not finding the apr source.
I did a make in /usr/ports/devel/apr and then jumped back in the
mod_webapp workdir to ./configure
--with-apr=/usr/ports/devel/apr/work/apr* and then did a make in
/usr/ports/www/mod_webapp and that installed fine.

I then installed apr from the port make install clean, and that installed
/usr/local/lib/libapr-0.so.9.

mod_webapp added his lines to httpd.conf and apachectl configtest yields:

Cannot load /usr/local/libexec/apache/mod_webapp.so into server:
/usr/local/lib/libapr-0.so.9: Undefined symbol "pthread_cond_signal"

Shouldn't the port have linked to the pthread library properly to make
this error go away?

Is there a way to manually force this in the port?

Is there a better way to hook apache in to tomcat?

I knew I was in for a treat when I had to trick jdk14 in to installing. If
anyone is curious about that problem and workaround:

Problem:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=java/61407
Solution:
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-java/2003-December/001333.html