Native jdk1.4.1 working

Georg-W. Koltermann gwk at rahn-koltermann.de
Thu Sep 4 13:21:54 PDT 2003

On Do, 2003-09-04 at 11:21, Ernst de Haan wrote:

> I could use a suggested patch for this *hint* *hint* :-)
>
> Ernst

Not really a patch, but from looking at the shell script of the Linux
distribution I see they are creating a hierarchy like the following:

        $ ls -lRa $JAVA_HOME/jre/.systemPrefs
        total 4
        drwxr-xr-x  2 bin  bin  512  4 Sep 22:01 .
        drwxrwxrwt  5 bin  bin  512  4 Sep 22:00 ..
        -rw-r--r--  1 bin  bin    0  4 Sep 22:00 .system.lock
        -rw-r--r--  1 bin  bin    0  4 Sep 22:00 .systemRootModFile
        $

(The owner/group above was my choice, the Linux script leaves these
default so they would probably be root:root.)

Indeed, when I create these files by hand in the native 1.4.1 JDK, I
don't get any errors any more from programs trying to modify system
preferences.  They just run and silently ignore the fact that the system
preferences are not writable, which is probably the proper behavior for
any non-Windows system.

As a side-note, the Linux JDK script also sets up the user's .mailcap
and .mime.types to include the mime type for Java Web Start if it can
write to those files.  This is only done for $HOME, i.e. is does not
make much sense for a port/package which will usually be installed by
root for system-wide use.  We might find a system-wide MIME
configuration file and edit that instead.

Sorry to be of not much help here, there's only 24 hours in a day but
you know that already.

--
Grüße,
Georg.