RMI on FreeBSD

Sheldon Hearn sheldonh at starjuice.net
Thu Nov 20 04:11:56 PST 2003

On (2003/11/20 12:25), David Israelsson wrote:

> I've set net.inet6.ip6.v6only to 0, and I've tried to let the program
> contact both localhost and 127.0.0.1 (the latter has no ipv6
> equivalent).  It does connect, because if I try to run the program
> without having started the rmiregistry I get
> java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused.

What do you expect to happen trying to connect to the local host before
a listening service has bound to the appropriate port?  I'd expect
"Connection refused".

My original reply simply answered the question "is RMI broken on
FreeBSD", for which the answer is probably "no".  I'm now guessing. :-)

I'm just answering in the absence of more clueful answers.  I haven't
played with low-level RMI stuff myself; it's always been managed for me
by something else.

Ciao,
Sheldon.