Removing JDK completely ?

Richard Shea freebsdQ0 at richardshea.fastmail.fm
Fri Dec 12 18:10:35 PST 2003

Hi Tim - Thanks for your reply.

> However on 4.8, I'd strongly recommend, to save yourself loads of
> aggravation,
> if you can possibly live with Java 1.3, just installing the binary
> release of
> FreeBSD JDK/JRE 1.3. I've done this on 4.x boxes and its a vastly
> smoother/cleaner ride, and most stuff I use (like tn5250j) works with
> Java

Well I didn't realise you could do this ! I thought I was obliged to
compile everything from scratch. My primary interest in all of this is in
order to be able to operate a Tomcat server on this box. How did you make
use of the binary you downloaded ? I mean literally what did you do with
it when you had obtained it ? Sorry to be dim but this isn't something I
really understand very well.

Thanks for your words on removing JDK having read Nicolas post I think I
might first recompile the Kernel just to double-check the box for H/W
errors and then clean everying off the box as you describe and try
another make, it was only half way though the last one I discovered
portupgrade and I think some of the early stuff might be incompaptible
with the later stuff.

thanks again.

regards

richard.