Java on FreeBSD 5.0

Aristedes Maniatis ari at ish.com.au
Sun Apr 27 17:47:05 PDT 2003

We have been running the FreeBSD port of JDK 1.3.1 on a deployment
machine with WebObjects (http://www.newtownprecinct.com.au) for some
four months now. It has not had a single problem to date.

The documentation on the FreeBSD web site regarding Java is mostly
outdated and a bit confusing. I'd like to contribute some better
documentation once I am sure I understand it all myself. As I
understand the process, the patchset which makes up the FreeBSD port
will reach a level of maturity where Sun will approve it as the
official FreeBSD port. Then FreeBSD will be able to ship it precompiled
as a binary port.

What I haven't yet been able to find is any information about how that
approval process will work.

Cheers
Ari Maniatis

On Monday, April 28, 2003, at 09:36  AM, wagner at wtb.com.br wrote:

> Is there any official effort to (sup)port Java in FreeBSD? I am very
> experienced in base software develpoment (C and C++, unices and
> Windows) and
> perharps I can help, if needed.

ish group pty ltd
7 Darghan St Glebe 2037 Australia
phone +61 2 9660 1400   fax +61 2 9660 7400
http www.ish.com.au | email info at ish.com.au
PGP fingerprint 08 57 20 4B 80 69 59 E2  A9 BF 2D 48 C2 20 0C C8