applet fails under jdk1.3.1p8_1, works under jdk1.3.1p7_2

Ted Faber faber at ISI.EDU
Mon Apr 14 17:18:38 PDT 2003

The super-useful applets from http://adds.aviationweather.gov/java/ used
to work just fine under jdk1.3.1p7, but after upgrading to 1.3.1p8 they
fail.  The applets plot maps of the US (well, the world, but the US by
default) with various weather data superimposed.  Under p7 this works
great, but under p8 maps and data all seems to be plotted in the upper
left corner of the map area.  For example

http://adds.aviationweather.gov/java/

They've clearly had jdk problems in the past, related to IE, described
on this page: http://adds.aviationweather.gov/info/ie_patch.php .

All this is under mozilla.  I can provide plugin131.trace files if you
want, but you can generate your own by opening the site, so I thought
I'd save the bw.

If anyone can restore the jdk to supporting these, I'd be very happy,
and, of course I'm happy to help with any debugging.

I'm not subscribed to freebsd-java (and usually everything just works,
so I don't need to be :-)), so please cc me directly.