Assign Lookback address 127.0.0.1 to jail

s7r at sky-ip.org s7r at sky-ip.org
Wed Jun 11 21:17:26 UTC 2014

On 6/11/2014 11:56 PM, Jason Hellenthal wrote:
> Simple.
>
> echo 'options VIMAGE' >>/sys/`uname -p`/GENERIC cd /usr/src && make
> buildkernel && make installkernel

This is perfectly, clear - hope it does not affect the current
functionality and installed ports on the running machine?

> Make the necessary adjustments to ensure your system is stable as
> you want it to be during testing and then lock the settings for the
> jails into the perspective configuration files and the host
> systems /etc/rc.conf for the interfaces you will use.
>
> Just an example of my base jail that I use for setting up other
> jails on the fly... exec.stop = "/bin/sh /etc/rc.shutdown";
> exec.poststop = "umount /export/cnt/$name/dev"; exec.clean;
>
> mount.devfs;
>
> path = "/export/cnt/$name";
>
> allow.raw_sockets; allow.socket_af; vnet = new;
>
> base { host.hostname = base; vnet.interface = vnet0; securelevel =
> 3; exec.start = "ifconfig vnet0 inet 172.X.X.22/22 broadcast
> 172.X.X.255"; exec.start += "route add default 172.X.X.1";
> exec.start += "/bin/sh /etc/rc"; }

Q1: All This is tot be pasted into jails's /etc/rc.conf file?

Q2: 172.X.X.22/22 -> I want to assign a public IP address to the jail,
and a local loopback address.

Q3: route add default - this is the default router? this should be the
host's public IP address or the IP address of the gateway assigned by
my ISP?

> And in my systems rc.conf... ifconfig_interface0_name="vnet0"

No IP address here or alias for vnet0? In host's /etc/rc.conf? Just
interface0_name="vnet0"? Shouldn't interface0 be em0, the default
interface of the host? Shouldn't that come first?

> I actually give my base template jail a full actual interface to
> work with so I can segment it off on the network at the switch
> level and drop it into another management vlan. But the
> configuration is simple and similar to other interfaces virtual or
> not like if_epair(4).
>
> The rest of the jail configuration as in rc.conf and such within
> the jail is the same as if it was not a VIMAGE so you should
> already be aware of those details so I won't rattle on with those.
> But if you have any specific questions about this as you move
> through setting up VIMAGE jails feel free to give me a hollar
> directly or back to this list and Ill be happy to give you a hand.
>

> On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 3:53 PM, s7r at sky-ip.org
> <mailto:s7r at sky-ip.org> <s7r at sky-ip.org <mailto:s7r at sky-ip.org>>
> wrote:
>
> On 6/11/2014 4:46 AM, Jason Hellenthal wrote:
>> You could just go with building the host kernel with VIMAGE  . .
>> . Then each jail has its own virtual network stack.
>
>> image.png
>
>> -- Jason Hellenthal Voice: 95.30.17.6/616
>> <http://95.30.17.6/616>
> JJH48-ARIN
>
>> On Jun 10, 2014, at 21:19, "s7r at sky-ip.org
>> <mailto:s7r at sky-ip.org> <mailto:s7r at sky-ip.org
>> <mailto:s7r at sky-ip.org>>" <s7r at sky-ip.org
> <mailto:s7r at sky-ip.org> <mailto:s7r at sky-ip.org
> <mailto:s7r at sky-ip.org>>>
>> wrote:

> <mailto:s7r at sky-ip.org <mailto:s7r at sky-ip.org>>

>> Thank you it works, with 127.0.0.2
>
>> If I try to add 127.0.0.1 will this create any conflicts with
>> the host or will it work? Because i have something important
>> listening on hosts's 127.0.0.1 and don't want to mess up. I would
>> need the same configuration within the jail also, so that's why I
>> need the .1 localhost IP.

> Hey Jason
>
> Thanks for your suggestion. can you please ellaborate a little bit
> and tell me how can i do this step by step? I have an already
> installed system with ezjail and already created one jail - how can
> I add VIMAGE to have virtual network stack in each jail without
> having to reinstall the host or the jails? Thank you, looking
> forward for your reply.

Thank you.
- --
s7r
PGP Fingerprint: 7C36 9232 5ABD FB0B 3021 03F1 837F A52C 8126 5B11
PGP Pubkey: http://www.sky-ip.org/s7r@sky-ip.org.asc