Assign Lookback address 127.0.0.1 to jail

Jason Hellenthal jhellenthal at dataix.net
Wed Jun 11 20:56:34 UTC 2014

Simple.

echo 'options VIMAGE' >>/sys/`uname -p`/GENERIC
cd /usr/src && make buildkernel && make installkernel

Make the necessary adjustments to ensure your system is stable as you want
it to be during testing and then lock the settings for the jails into the
perspective configuration files and the host systems /etc/rc.conf for the
interfaces you will use.

Just an example of my base jail that I use for setting up other jails on
the fly...
exec.stop = "/bin/sh /etc/rc.shutdown";
exec.poststop = "umount /export/cnt/$name/dev";
exec.clean;

mount.devfs;

path = "/export/cnt/$name";

allow.raw_sockets;
allow.socket_af;
vnet = new;

base {
        host.hostname = base;
        vnet.interface = vnet0;
        securelevel = 3;
        exec.start = "ifconfig vnet0 inet 172.X.X.22/22 broadcast
172.X.X.255";
        exec.start += "route add default 172.X.X.1";
        exec.start += "/bin/sh /etc/rc";
}

And in my systems rc.conf...
ifconfig_interface0_name="vnet0"

I actually give my base template jail a full actual interface to work with
so I can segment it off on the network at the switch level and drop it into
another management vlan. But the configuration is simple and similar to
other interfaces virtual or not like if_epair(4).

The rest of the jail configuration as in rc.conf and such within the jail
is the same as if it was not a VIMAGE so you should already be aware of
those details so I won't rattle on with those. But if you have any specific
questions about this as you move through setting up VIMAGE jails feel free
to give me a hollar directly or back to this list and Ill be happy to give
you a hand.