All-in-one Server

Martin Solčiansky martin.solciansky at solko.sk
Wed Feb 10 17:20:01 UTC 2010

----- "Odhiambo Washington" <odhiambo at gmail.com> wrote:

You could try zimbra for all-in-one-email-solution instead of Citadel or Horde+, that would solve most of the problems as it integrates all the bits you need into a one working opensource bundle.

> You can always write something to manage your firewall (like zimlet to zimbra) and that greatly depends on your expectations. I don't change firewall rules very often on my zimbra box but then again, i am the ascii lover ;).
>
> kind regards,
>
> s.
>

> You run Zimbra on FreeBSD? Let me see the guide you followed in order to do that although I don't love Zimbra that much because accessing it via the web requires so much bandwidth - unless this changed. I have seen http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?title=Installing_GNR_on_FreeBSD_7.2_i386 but wonder if you run the latest zimbra on your FreeBSD. Does it meet my requirements?

I ported zimbra to freebsd starting with 5.0.16 which is still running on one of my boxes. It was a patch designed to run - not for full integration and I lost my interest back then.
Starting with zimbra 6 i made a complete rewrite of the source tree to support freebsd natively, meaning no more crude hacks. I have been using and maintaining the wiki+patch since then (because i spent years looking for all-in-one-email freebsd solution). Zimbra team is pretty open to new ideas but there is no reason to support freebsd with no freebsd user-base. Use zimbra, we might get it once. Hell, it is supported on mac..
I am running 6.0.4 in production and I will gladly help anyone with installation. Linux rules the commercial skies nowadays so every little bit helps.

There is *absolutely* no reason for zimbra not to run correctly on freebsd because 99% of the code is fully portable, leaving behind only some linux-specific-scripts for statistics (disk,memory etc.). Please check http://www.zimbra.com/forums/installation/33477-zcs-6-0-1-ported-freebsd7.html for more info.

Zimbra offers mobile, html, ajax web interface. If your users prefer simple visual interface go for squirrelmail. Sadly, most users prefer flashy fancy stuff.

s.