Webmail alternatives

Oliver von Bueren maillist at ovb.ch
Tue Jan 9 13:32:10 PST 2007

User Ernie wrote:
> SurgeMail looks interesting but they have a strong FreeBSD warning:
>
> " FREEBSD is not recommended as we consider the operating system itself
> unstable when used with a threaded/forking application. We have also noted
> an unreasonable rate of incompatibility and outright bugs with each new
> release of FreeBSD. So we recommend Linux instead as a better choice when
> possible."

OFF-Topic: That looks like the authors do not like FreeBSD and/or are
not able to produce true stable and cross-platform compliant code.
I'd rather not go that route if the maintainer have that attitude. On
the other hand, I don't know that program at all.

<strong irony on>I'm sure my FreeBSD server never crashed since the last
office move (857 days ago) because no program on the server ever used
anything like fork or threading, as it's only running Apache, exim,
..... Pretty bad for a system to not crash once in over 2.3 years.</off>

BTW: I wonder how they keep up with the different distributions of Linux
if they have problems adapting to a few FreeBSD releases. We're talking
about a high level application and not some low level hardware stuff.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Oliver