Hardware RAID 1 management tools

Jeremiah Foster jeremiah.foster at clickstore.se
Fri Aug 25 06:21:37 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-24 at 19:39 +0300, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> > and find out when the RAID disks are failing, right now I can tell
> > when that happens because the database slows to a crawl.
>
> That reasoning does not sound technical at all. Please find out why
> the MySQL server itself is slowing down by using tools like mytop (in
> the ports, log-slow-queries, etc).

In fact I have been using a variety of system monitoring and mysql
monitoring tools. Mytop has been used extensively, all the logs have
been analyzed, the huge mysql config is being used, the database has
been refactored, top and as well as other system tools have been used.
All show dramatic, statistically significant changes when a disk fails.
When we replace the disk mysql goes back to using very little processor
from using 80% or more. So in fact it is quite technical.

What I want is a tool that will warn me of disk failures before mysql
does, is such a thing available for FreeBSD?

Jeremiah