VPN through NAT?

Troy Settle troy at psknet.com
Sun Aug 13 14:21:30 UTC 2006

Probably not the best list to ask this on, but it's the closest that I'm
subscribed to...

I have several customers who use VPN (Windows PPTP) to connect to their
Corporate networks.  The first was sitting behind NAT on a FreeBSD
router.  The PPTP did not work.  I moved them out of NAT and onto a
regular IP, and it worked fine.  I then swapped out the FreeBSD box with
a Cisco 2620 and again tried the PPTP via NAT, but still it wouldn't work.

Another customer is behind a Cisco 804 and his PPTP also did not work
when his network was behind NAT, so I have to assign a static subnet for
him.

 From home, sitting behind NAT on my Netgear router, I can turn up PPTP
connections all day long.  What gives with FreeBSD and Cisco's
implementation of NAT that PPTP doesn't want to work?

Thanks,

  Troy Settle
  Pulaski Networks
  http://www.psknet.com