[SPAM] (4.4/3.0) Re: Bind9: rndc reload doesn't work for slave servers

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Tue Aug 1 12:44:15 UTC 2006

On Tue, Aug 01, 2006 at 01:29:04PM +0200, Edda Hochstrate wrote:
> We have a lot of customers with master servers for their own domains, not
> every server is bind 9 or even bind. The notify mechanism doesn't work
> well on all these servers. With bind 8 we simply send a kill -HUP
> to our slave and it starts reloading all updated zones. With bind 9
> we observe that our slaves get some updates only after the refresh time
> is expired.

When were you proposing to do this 'kill -HUP' ?

If you are going to do a 'kill -HUP' every 5 minutes, say, then you are
generating a lot of work for your own server and every customer's master
server.

If you have a particular customer who has made a change and explicitly asks
you to refresh their zone, then you can 'rndc reload <zone>' as said before.

However, note that your slave server will poll each of the masters at the
refresh interval in their SOA record anyway. So if a particular customer
wants you to poll their zone more frequently, then they can just reduce the
refresh time in their SOA record, and your server will honour their request.
That gives you the best of all worlds - frequent polling for those customers
who want or need it, and occasional polling for everyone else.

At least that's my understanding...

Regards,

Brian.