[SPAM] (4.4/3.0) Re: Bind9: rndc reload doesn't work for slave servers

Edda Hochstrate eh at netuse.de
Tue Aug 1 11:29:31 UTC 2006

Doug Barton wrote:
> Edda Hochstrate wrote:
>>
>>In my opinion afer an "rndc reload" a slave
>>should query the master for the soa records of all
>>zones stated in named.conf.
>

> Well, unfortunately for you the BIND developers do not agree with you. I
> could argue that there are good reasons not to do what you're suggesting,
> but I suspect that is not a useful discussion.

Thank you, that clears the situation. I was very surprised about
this behaviour.

> Now that I've answered your question, I'd like to suggest that you perhaps
> reconsider this goal? If your master and slave name servers are properly
> configured, you shouldn't have to do this at all. The master should be
> sending out notifys for domains when they are updated, which your slaves can
> then act on in near real time. What conditions are you seeing that lead you
> to believe that refreshing all your zones at once is necessary?

We have a lot of customers with master servers for their own domains, not
every server is bind 9 or even bind. The notify mechanism doesn't work
well on all these servers. With bind 8 we simply send a kill -HUP
to our slave and it starts reloading all updated zones. With bind 9
we observe that our slaves get some updates only after the refresh time
is expired.

Thank you again,
Edda