FreeBSD, quagga (BGP) and 2950 VLANs

Kurt Jaeger lists at complx.LF.net
Mon Sep 19 14:56:07 PDT 2005

Hi!

> > Doing a straight FTP transfer from one server to another
> > through a CIsco 3640 seems to cap at about 40 Mbits/second so I was
> > wondering how that compares to a x86 system running FreeBSD.
>
> The tests I made using some shuttle.com barebone hardware etc
> seems to max out around 500 mbit/sec. It wasn't a full-blown BGP setup,
> far from it. More seems easily be possible, but we still need
> to test.

If you use ftp, the limit might be the IO from/to disk, not the cisco
throughput.

Use ttcp to test the transfer limits, not ftp.

http://www.mirrors.wiretapped.net/security/packet-construction/ttcp/ttcp.c

--
MfG/Best regards, Kurt Jaeger                                  15 years to go !
LF.net GmbH        fon +49 711 90074-23  pi at LF.net