FreeBSD, quagga (BGP) and 2950 VLANs

Kurt Jaeger lists at complx.LF.net
Mon Sep 19 14:46:20 PDT 2005

Hello,

> >>I'm planning to connect the FreeBSD server to a trunk port on a Cisco
> >>2950 and put each interconnected IP provider into a separate VLAN.

> What kind of throughput do you get using FreeBSD and what kind of
> hardware?

Hardware:

CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz (2998.57-MHz 686-class CPU)
real memory  = 2146631680 (2096320K bytes)

12 fxp interfaces, 8 vlans on some of those fxp interfaces
working as core.LF.net.

Throughput: 100mbit peak was possible. All the hardware is
100mbit. We currently prepare a gigE testbed to spread the load.

> Doing a straight FTP transfer from one server to another
> through a CIsco 3640 seems to cap at about 40 Mbits/second so I was
> wondering how that compares to a x86 system running FreeBSD.

The tests I made using some shuttle.com barebone hardware etc
seems to max out around 500 mbit/sec. It wasn't a full-blown BGP setup,
far from it. More seems easily be possible, but we still need
to test.

--
MfG/Best regards, Kurt Jaeger                                  15 years to go !
LF.net GmbH        fon +49 711 90074-23  pi at LF.net