ipfw/natd broken?

Clint Wilson clint at southerncomp.com
Thu Apr 28 07:23:56 PDT 2005

Troy Settle wrote:

> All,
>
> I have a box (486, 16mb) running FreeBSD 3.51-something.  It's been in
> service for the better part of 10 years (originally 2.0.5 or so).
> It's acting as a router/nat device for a network with about 50 desktop
> systems, and has never given me a problem until this week.

Troy, I would highly highly recommend upgrading your system. It is
apparent it has internet access, and there are numerous exploits that
could compromise the integrity of your entire network.

> It seems that VPN (PPTP) won't work behind NAT.  I can use VPN tunnels
> from XP PRO to both windows servers and linux-based VPN servers all
> day long from home using my netgear broadband router, but from this
> location, behind the FreeBSD box, they won't work.

The aforementioned being said, I am unaware at this time of any reason
why this might not work on 3.5. I am currently doing this same setup
IPFW+NATD+FreeBSD 4.11 (Soon to be upgraded to 5.4) and it is working
with no problems. There have been a lot of changes to IPFW since your
version of FreeBSD I am also sure the natd daemon has been revised as
well since your version. I would upgrade to 5.4 set your nat and ipfw
back up and see if the problem still is there.

--
Clint Wilson
Southern Comp Solutions LLC