ipfw/natd broken?

Troy Settle troy at psknet.com
Wed Apr 27 16:06:54 PDT 2005

All,

I have a box (486, 16mb) running FreeBSD 3.51-something.  It's been in
service for the better part of 10 years (originally 2.0.5 or so).  It's
acting as a router/nat device for a network with about 50 desktop
systems, and has never given me a problem until this week.

It seems that VPN (PPTP) won't work behind NAT.  I can use VPN tunnels
from XP PRO to both windows servers and linux-based VPN servers all day
long from home using my netgear broadband router, but from this
location, behind the FreeBSD box, they won't work.

What gives?

   Troy Settle
   Pulaski Networks
   866.477.5638