Adding disclaimers to outgoing mail only.

Mon Jul 12 16:49:52 PDT 2004

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am writing to seek some advice about adding disclaimers to outgoing
mail in this situation,

ISP ------ FreeBSD/Sendmail-----Lotus Notes
           4.9    /8.12

All mail transits the FreeBSD instance where it either is

1 delivered 'locally'  by dealiasing to Foo at Notes, in the case of
incoming mail

2 forwarded subject to the mailertable entries (for some direct delivery
of incoming mail to FreeBSD boxes, otherwise forwarding to the provider
MTA). This is the case for _most_ outgoing mail and some incoming.

This setup provides performance and control (eg multiple aliases,
queues, web management of aliases) that doesn't exist in the MS/Notes
space.

(Please, no low jokes about 'Notes. We accept that the best thing about
it is that it is not Exchange and accordingly we have been very happy
not to have become the victim of so many MS vectored virii.
Unfortunately, such is the pressure for 'integrated' products that
Exchange may be on the way)

My employer wants to add disclaimers to outgoing mail and therefore I
would like them added by the FreeBSD instance (to avoid mail to Request
Tracker etc being polluted with disclaimers) rather than by 'Notes.

It seems to me, however, that milters do not allow filtering based on
direction of flow (or recipient ne 'internal domain'), so I would be
very grateful to hear some suggestions or descriptions of how folks add
disclaimers for outgoing mail only.

Perhaps two sendmail instances is a possibility ?

We are not committed to either the MTA or the design above. We seek a
robust, manageable (ie FreeBSD) solution that can be implemented with as
little butchery as possible, to either replace or complement the
FreeBSD environment above.

The approach we seek is proven software; we may be able to tap the mail
stream with divert sockets, but quite simply do not have the coding
skills to produce a robost result.

Thank you,

Yours sincerely.