FreeBSD router on a USB flash drive?

Justin Hopper jhopper at bsdhosting.net
Wed Jan 21 22:48:44 PST 2004

On Mon, 2004-01-19 at 08:55, Christoffer Pio wrote:
> Hello all, has anyone experience with booting from, and running a FreeBSD
> based router on a USB 2.0 flash drive?

I'm really curious what brought you to the situation of needing to boot
from a flash drive for a router? =)

I picked up a USB 2.0 flash drive (128MB) for transferring files around
between workstations and I really like its convenience.  I formatted the
drive in FreeBSD 5.1 and installed the standard boot loader.  It took me
a while to find a box with a new enough BIOS to be able to use the flash
drive as a boot option, but I finally found one and was able to get to
the boot loader.  However, 128MB didn't seem to be enough space to do a
minimum install so I was not able to install 5.1 on it and boot from
it.  I didn't have the time to try to see if I could trim down the
install further, so this was as far as I got.

I assume with a larger flash drive it is completely possible.  As to why
you would want to do it, I'm still not sure =)

--
Justin Hopper  <jhopper at bsdhosting.net>
UNIX Systems Engineer