Open a user for FTP Access

Martin Hudec corwin at aeternal.net
Thu Aug 5 05:56:13 PDT 2004

On Thu, Aug 05, 2004 at 02:35:38PM +0200 or thereabouts, Spidey Knepscheld wrote:

> This is another stupid question from me but I would like to know how do
> I give a guy access to his web directory for updates of his www. I know
> how to open users but not how to give that user access to ftp to his
> directory.

Stupid questions are only those which we are never about to ask.

You want to give a user access only to his www directory so that he
will not be able to see anything else (other www dirs etc.) just one
with his site? Well you can consider using ProFTPD and chroot that user
to his directory.

ProFTPD can be found at:
/usr/ports/ftp/proftpd

Maybe you would like to use mysql to store user data in database, then
you should go for:
/usr/ports/ftp/proftpd-mysql

For sure there are many alternatives out there.

	Cheers,

	Martin

Martin Hudec            | corwin at aeternal.net
http://www.aeternal.net | cell +421 907 303 393