Open a user for FTP Access

Bill Vermillion bv at wjv.com
Thu Aug 5 07:42:12 PDT 2004

Throwing caution to the wind and speaking without thinking about
what was being said on Thu, Aug 05, 2004 at 14:35 ,
Spidey Knepscheld blurted this:

> Hi Guys

> This is another stupid question from me but I would like to know
> how do I give a guy access to his web directory for updates of
> his www. I know how to open users but not how to give that user
> access to ftp to his directory.

I do this for all the the web accounts.

I make their home directory the top directory of their
domain.  /usr/local/www/data/<domain-name>  and then I put
their login name in  /etc/ftpchroot.

This way when they ftp they are their own tree and can go nowhere
else.  With 1 or 2 exceptions there are no shell accounts on the
server, and the only thing the domain users can do is to ftp in/out
of their domain.

Bill

--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com