Who are using FreeBSD for Hosting Env. and Which Update Method

Bill Vermillion bv at wjv.com
Tue Dec 9 14:00:37 PST 2003

Somewhere around Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 15:36 , the world stopped and listened
as Adam Maloney graced us with this profound tidbit of wisdom
 that would fulfill the ejoyment of future generations:

> Just thought I'd add my $.02

> > Yes. Only a short time (during the installworld and mergemaster)
> > the system is in a somehow fragile state, but it works most of
> > the time, so we do it in multiuser.

> On most of my boxes I do the installs and merge in multiuser
> mode. I'm a little more nervous about mail, so I always do it in
> single-user mode on the mailserver. Fragile is a good word for
> this state.

It's nice when you have the luxury of being able to phsyically
touch the machines.  I do my upgrades remotely in MU mode.
In case of crash it will take me about 30 minutes to get to the
machines - but there is really no place to work except in awkward
standing modes with rack doors open.

I've never had a problem - but have always been perpared for one.

> > Good question 8-)

> I have always done source, and I always sync with stable and
> re-build everything (rather than using patches). Why? It just
> "feels" right :)

And since I do it remotely, I login, build with nohup and logout
and check the logs the next day.  Beside 'feeling right' - I don't
have to do anyting.  I tell it to do it, and it does it.

Bill

--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com