Who are using FreeBSD for Hosting Env. and Which Update Method

Adam Maloney adamm at sihope.com
Tue Dec 9 13:36:45 PST 2003

Just thought I'd add my $.02

> Yes. Only a short time (during the installworld and mergemaster)
> the system is in a somehow fragile state, but it works most of
> the time, so we do it in multiuser.

On most of my boxes I do the installs and merge in multiuser mode.  I'm
a little more nervous about mail, so I always do it in single-user mode
on the mailserver.  Fragile is a good word for this state.

We did 4.8-STA to 4.9-STA on Sunday on mail and it was probably less
than 5 minutes of downtime (single-user, installworld, installkernel,
mergemaster, reboot).

> The update 4.9 -> 5.2 will probably be much more difficult and
> we will test it extensibly, before we do it on production servers.

Yes!

> > Why don't you choose binary update methode . Does it have problem ?! or it's
> > not a true way to keep up-to-date FreeBSD
>
> Good question 8-)

I have always done source, and I always sync with stable and re-build
everything (rather than using patches).  Why?  It just "feels" right :)