HEADS UP: I4B going away entirely

Hans Petter Selasky hselasky at c2i.net
Fri May 16 23:38:31 UTC 2008

Hi,

My ISDN4BSD has some non-technical issues that makes it difficult for some
people to commit to the main FreeBSD tree. I am however working on a new
product called openzap.hps:

svn --username anonsvn --password anonsvn checkout
svn://svn.turbocat.net/i4b/trunk/openzap.hps

If someone wants to mentor this project with regard to a future FreeBSD
commit, please feel free to step forward.

Looking back at the history:

ISDN4BSD was my first FreeBSD hardware driver project. I started working on
this around year 2000. At some point I got very much attention about my YES
and NO macros and how I generated a complete ISDN driver from a single macro.
The main reason for doing it like that was that it saved me a lot of time
when I wanted to propagate changes into "N" different drivers at the same
time without having to edit "N" different files. Simply because I wasn't sure
how the best way was to do it.

There are some things in my ISDN4BSD that are not so smart designwise. For
example my ISDN4BSD does not support zero copy of data from the hardware into
a mbuf, hence I have not seen any ISDN hardware that implements zero copy.
Most ISDN hardware I've been working with either:

1) Uses a PIO FIFO.
2) Uses a ring buffer in RAM.

When I started working on USB the PCI USB host hardware was working quite
different than my ISDN hardware and many issues like cache syncing popped up
during development which I never thought about when working with my ISDN4BSD
system.

My plan is to use the lessons I've learned from my first ISDN4BSD and then my
USB4BSD when I design my OPENZAP.HPS. Hopefully it will turn out much better.

--HPS