HEADS UP: I4B going away entirely

Oliver von Bueren maillist at ovb.ch
Fri May 16 16:24:04 UTC 2008

Hi

Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:
> this email is to inform you that I4B will be entirely removed from CVS
> from FreeBSD 7 and 8 soon.
>
> The problem as previously pointed out is missing locking and the
> reason this hasn't happened/finished was the lack of time and the
> catching up with what happened in freebsd infrastructure the last years
> resulting in a larger rewrite for parts.
OK then, FreeBSD does not support ISDN out of the box anymore. Primary,
that's a sad thing, but it is also a good thing for change.

I don't want to start a big discussion about which version of I4B is in
the tree again, but I just recently read that HPS is in a final stage of
the USB4BSD implementation and my understanding is, that this is going
to be in the tree then. As the motivation of this U4B was the
elimination of GIANT from I4B-HPS, wouldn't this be the opportunity to
go that route for this as well?

I mean, FreeBSD for me is still the OS to use for ISDN and  VoIP on
standard pc hardware as well as (or especially for) embedded systems.

Oliver