AVM Fritz V2 and reboot vs. power-off

jack not at all.org
Mon Jul 5 17:12:33 PDT 2004

Ari Suutari wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm facing odd but repeatable problems with FreeBSD 4.9 and
> AVM Fritz V2 PCI isdn cards. It seems that if I reboot my
> server the isdn card no longer works. However, if I power-off
> and power-on the card works again.
>
> Without power-off, I'm getting messages like "Awaiting signal"
> from ifpi2 driver and the system never recovers.
>
> I have tried replacing the isdn card, but it doesn't help. The machines
> are HP Compaq 2000 models.
>
> Any ideas I could try ? The machines will be installed at locations
> where nobody is normally present, which makes remote rebooting
> difficult if power-off is required.

I don't know about exactly Your hardware, but - from my experience -
there are configurations where the mainboard chipset does not provide
enough power for the ISDN adaptor. - Although this problem should only
concern older ISA cards on older EX/BX chipsets, I'd recommend cross-
checking this one.

As for remotely cold-booting: With ATX, You can specify a "wake-up"-
time in most recent BIOSses. - But once the thing hangs, You cannot
even shutdown. Plus, it may be 23:59 hrs to the next wake-up hour...

In this case, get Yourself a proper "watchdog" card. - It will detect
system hangs and initiate a reboot, cold or warm.

Cheers, Jack.