[Panic] Dummynet/IPFW related recurring crash.

Pawel Tyll ptyll at nitronet.pl
Sun Feb 20 03:45:34 UTC 2011

> I was actually going to suggest Pawl try a different network device if
> possible. I'm using dummynet on a network gateway equipped with
> on-board bge(4). I haven't had any crashes, but then again, I'm not
> seeing that many packets either.
It seems to be closely related to amount of processed packets. We've
connected some new customers recently, which obviously translated to
more traffic and more pipes:

     #               Uptime | System                                     Boot up
----------------------------+---------------------------------------------------
     1    15 days, 05:42:23 | FreeBSD 8.2-PRERELEASE    Wed Dec 22 16:19:55 2010
     2    14 days, 22:31:42 | FreeBSD 8.2-PRERELEASE    Sun Jan  9 03:07:59 2011
     3    14 days, 05:25:46 | FreeBSD 8.2-PRERELEASE    Mon Jan 24 01:55:34 2011
     4    12 days, 15:42:45 | FreeBSD 8.2-PRERELEASE    Mon Feb  7 07:30:07 2011

In general, our traffic increases, which apparently translates to
crashing sooner. When all this started I remember seeing crashes
closer to three weeks, but now it surprised me by crashing two days
"early".

As to trying different device, these are on-board interfaces on Intel
mainboard. I don't have any experience with external pci express
adapters other than Intel's, could you recommend something stable?