i386/80095: ld-elf.so.1 crashes with executables produced by tinycc

Drazen Kacar dave at fly.srk.fer.hr
Tue Apr 19 03:20:10 PDT 2005

>Number:         80095
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       ld-elf.so.1 crashes with executables produced by tinycc
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
      /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1 crashes when trying to execute programs
      created by tiny cc. <URL:http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/tcc/>
      tested with tcc version 0.9.22.

      The tcc web page mentions only Linux, but tcc compiles on FreeBSD
      and creates executables. file(1) and readelf(1) commands don't
      have problems with them. Even if the executable cannot work on
      FreeBSD, ld-elf.so.1 should report an error instead of crashing
      with SIGSEGV.

      Besides, having tcc available on FreeBSD would be nice.
>How-To-Repeat:
      Download tcc from the above web page, compile and install it.
      Compile "hello world" program (ex5.c in tcc distribution, for
      example). Run the resulting a.out and it will crash. strace(1)
      and truss(1) will show that the crash is in ld-elf.so.1.

      "ldd ./a.out" will also crash with SIGSEGV, but that's ld-elf.so.1
      problem again.
>Fix:
      Unknown. If somebody could tell me what's the easiest way to debug
      dynamic loader, I'd be grateful.